One of the most prevalent concerns older adults have regarding assisted living communities is whether they can afford the monthly payments. Often, seniors and their families assume that staying at home costs less than moving to a senior living community. In many situations, they’ve secured an affordable monthly rent or paid off their mortgage.
Although a lower rent or paid-off mortgage would equate to affordable recurring monthly costs, there are other factors to consider. Senior living communities provide many services and amenities within one monthly payment that are considered additional expenses for those staying home. Therefore, when comparing current expenses with assisted living costs, potential residents are often surprised to discover they’re favorably similar.
Current Living Expenses
Each homeowner’s or renter’s monthly expenses differ for many reasons. However, in addition to monthly rent or mortgage payments, seniors living at home likely also cover the following costs:
- Property Taxes and Utilities. Homeownership brings with it taxes, insurance, and utilities. Further, these costs aren’t fixed, making it difficult to predict future expenses. Car owners are also responsible for a separate set of taxes and insurance. Recent rises in home values have drastically affected senior tax rates affecting predictability.
- Food and Groceries. Food and basic grocery costs continue to rise, impacting seniors living on fixed incomes at home. Going to and from the grocery store can be difficult. Many seniors who remain at home depend on family caregivers to assist with store runs.
- Transportation. In addition to monthly car payments and insurance premiums, car owners pay for gas. Those without cars rely on public transit or rideshares. Whatever transportation you take, it’s likely extra costs are involved. Vehicle ownership also requires maintenance, upkeep, and annual registration fees. Many seniors rely on others for transportation, causing less ability to remain socially active.
- Home Maintenance. Although home maintenance projects aren’t monthly expenses, they certainly add up over time. Whether replacing broken appliances, updating the HVAC system, or repairing a weathered roof, maintenance costs often are unexpected. Homeowners must plan and ensure adequate funds are available to keep their houses in prime condition.
- Lawn and Yard Maintenance. Seniors may find themselves struggling to keep up with routine lawn maintenance and, in most cases, hire outside services.
- Housekeeping. Whether you rent or own, you’re responsible for the cooking, cleaning, shopping, laundry, and other household chores. Doing it yourself costs time and money, and hiring a housekeeping service also requires a fee — or the burden is passed onto loved ones to assist.
- Cable and Internet. Added costs to maintain basic cable services and internet can be more costly in a home setting versus an assisted living.
- Home Security Systems. Many seniors living at home feel much safer with a home security system. These systems typically come with a monthly subscription fee.
- Staying Up to Code. Electrical and chemical safety are also important home maintenance tasks. As your home ages, ensuring everything remains up to code, such as wiring, ventilation, and smoke detection is vital. Updates can vary in cost but are typically higher than regular maintenance projects.
- Safety Measures. Your living space must remain safe. Narrow hallways, protruding objects, tight corners, poor lighting, etc. can lead to costly injuries and setbacks. Installing safety rails, ramps, and other equipment requires labor.
- Entertainment. Many people set aside a certain amount each month to pay for entertainment, such as dining out, concerts, clothes shopping, etc. When combined with other living expenses, fun is often unfortunately limited.
Although the monthly payment for assisted living may seem high at first glance, it’s comparable to your current expenses and covers much more. Each month’s payment grants you access to numerous services and amenities to live the independent lifestyle you’ve always wanted.
Assisted Living Costs Breakdown
Each assisted living community’s monthly payment differs according to location and services provided, but we’re fully transparent about our costs at Sundale Senior Living in Huntsville, TX. We understand potential residents’ monetary concerns and will work with you to find a solution. We accept many forms of payment and can walk through a financial worksheet together to explore your options.
At Sundale Senior Living, monthly payments differ from one resident to another due to the services needed and the floor plan chosen. We assess your current needs to customize your care and help you maintain as much independence as possible. However, all residents can expect the following benefits:
- Delicious chef-inspired meals and snacks
- Apartment-style living spaces
- On-site beauty salon
- Weekly housekeeping
- Property maintenance
- Transportation services
- Emergency call pendants
- Engaging and fulfilling social programs
- Cable and Internet
- And more.
Advantages of Assisted Living
Moving to an assisted living community such as Sundale provides many benefits. In addition to a comparable monthly cost, assisted living residents receive support when they need it and freedom when they don’t. Plus, various amenities and services ensure seniors live the retirement they’ve always dreamed about.
When you choose assisted living at Sundale, you receive the following benefits:
- Increased independence
- Luxury apartment-style living
- Engaging social life
- Nutritious, chef-inspired meals
- Freedom from home maintenance and housekeeping
- No need to handle dozens of bills
- Pets allowed
- Transportation to medical appointments or group outings
- Restored relationships
- State-of-the-art common and outdoor areas
- Numerous payment methods accepted
- And more.
Choosing assisted living over staying at home gives you more free time to do the things you love. You no longer need to worry about replacing the faucet or keeping track of your monthly bills; instead, enjoy independence in a lively environment.
Live Your Independent Lifestyle at Our Huntsville Assisted Living Community
Our goal at Sundale Senior Living is to ensure all residents receive the support they need and the independence they deserve. We pride ourselves on our various luxury floor plan selections, state-of-the-art amenities, and comparable pricing. View our galleries to picture life as a resident, or reach out to learn more! We’re here to help.